SAINT MUNGO STREET (off Gallowgate Street) is nearly opposite the Dovehill, where in ancient times stood the chapel and yard of Little Saint Mungo, which was endowed by David Cunningham, Arch-Deacon of Argyle in 1500. POLMADIE, although close to the City, was, from its peculiar position, comparatively little known until within the last few years, hence arose the saying, "Oot o' the worl', and into Pomadee." Classical frontage onto Oswald Street now painted. Previous to 1249 an hospital was erected here for the maintenance of the old people of both sexes. //-->, The Origin And History Of Glasgow Streets. GLA24381. (In regard to the historical argument, see Bridgeton.) It stood till 1749. Go to BARR website . He then gave up the building trade and commenced the manufacture of muslin, in which he was so successful that he ultimately made sufficient. google_ad_type = "text_image"; Rottenrow Street is a misnomer; it was not at first called Rottenrow Street, but the Rattan Raw, as it still is denominated by the older generation of plain-speaking Scotch people, Row by this class being invariably pronounced Raw; and the original meaning of the word Ratton or Rastoun having been forgot, it easily became altered to Rotten, and it was this which bred so many " rotten " theories respecting the name. WASHINGTON STREET was named by Miss Mary Reid, the proprietrix of the ground on which it was formed, in honour of the founder of American Independence, in accordance with her political principles. Sources. Caledonian Sleeper also services this route 6 times a week. GSL Lettings is an award winning business recently voted as Scottish Letting Agent of the Year 2011/12 at the Letting and Landlord National Awards ceremony, and ranked 19th nationally. The Collage Corner Bar & Radisson is part of the Radisson Blu Hotel at the corner of Argyle Street and Oswald Street. 33, 35 and 41 Oswald Street is a Category C listed building in Glasgow, Glasgow, Scotland. google_ad_slot = "5682111373"; google_ad_height = 60; It had previously been known as Greyfriar's Wynd, the friars having had a monastery here under a charter granted to them by King James the Third in 1479. He built the Virginia Mansion, which stood at the north end, the site of which is now occupied by the Union Bank. Address for John Ross (Glasgow) p. 492 Listed under Marble Cutters. google_color_border = "339933"; On the portion the lands fronting Canning Street, then known as, Barrowfield Road, the proprietor built a villa for himself, likewise two cottages, one for his brother and the other was said to be for his daughter, but she married an Edinburgh solicitor named Donaldson and went off the scene. google_ad_client = "pub-8512019970747605"; Young, a well-known manufacturer in the city. It is really wonderful the fertility of brain possessed by some pundits. QUEEN MARY STREET (off London Road) is contiguous to the site of Barrowfield House, where the legend, common to nearly every old mansion in the country, is that the Queen spent a night in it, hence the name. View on a map. ROBERTSON STREET is on the Broomielaw Croft, a portion of which had been acquired by the Smithfield Company, founded in 1734, and of which Mr. Robertson of Plantation was managing partner. 27 Oswald Street, Glasgow G1 4PE . PORTLAND STREET, opened 1802, was named in honour of the Duke of Portland, then a leading Cabinet Minister. Marketed by Aris Property, Glasgow The building is still in existence and it was in it that Dr. Johnson, on his return from his Highland tour, rejoiced to find himself sitting once more in front of a coal fire. operation till well on in last century, reached the entire length, crossing Jamaica Street in an overhead gallery. What are the street names that link Glasgow to the slave trade era? PRESTON STREET (off London Road) was named for John Preston, who had a rope walk there during the greater part of last century. SILVERGROVE STREET. From his name originated the title of "peeler," as applied to the police; and from the interest he took in the cause of Orangeism, the irrepressible Dan frequently prefaced his attacks upon him in Parliament by addressing him as his friend "orange peel.". WEST STREET (Calton) formed the western boundary of the lands which lay between Mile-end and Broomward. Being situated on the ridge of a hill, with a southern exposure, which guaranteed a dry site for dwellings, and with the gardens of the Deanery spread out on the slope below, it certainly was the most attractive street in the town, and as such would naturally become the favourite parade of the ladies, hence the name. RENFIELD STREET and RENFREW STREET. The University commenced its career in a small building in this street in 1454, and this might also be adduced as another proof in favour of the locality. He died in 1824. WALKINSHAW STREET. I checked the 1927 Glasgow Directory, which is accessible online, and there is a listing for a James Swanson, Restauranteur, at 217 Argyle Street, which would place it on the South side of the street between Jamaica Street and Oswald Street, very close to the Jamaica Street corner. The name arose from a wooden cross which stood near the spot where the bye-road to the Clyde, now Finnieston Street, branched off from the main highway leading from the Bishop’s Castle to Partick. The first Unitarian Chapel in the city was in this street, on the site now occupied by the office of the Weekly Mail the entrance to the church being by a stair in front. Bridge Street Station 0.3 miles. The lands of Silver Grove were acquired by Mr. Ure, the writer’s maternal ancestor, towards the end of the eighteenth century. Glasgow Central Station 0.1 miles. "Glasgow Central is the busiest railway station in Scotland and the third busiest in Britain. Site Name Glasgow, 11 Oswald Street, Bonded Stores. PRINCES STREET (from Saltmarket Street to King Street), opened 1724, has disappeared through the operations of the City Improvement Trust. Approximate location. The name comes from Saint Thanew, whose cell was on the site of the Tron Church in Trongate Street; and, despite statements to the contrary, there is no proof of any building for religious purposes having occupied the square previous to that of 1780. “When we posted a story about Wilson’s Zoo, a menagerie which once occupied a now-vanished church in Oswald Street, we heard possibly the most bizarre story we’ve ever been sent. He died in 1867, and his son Joseph, who succeeded him, laid off the lands for feuing, he removing to the adjoining cottage of Haughead, where he had Mr. Mair's seat and appendages re-erected. NAPIERSHALL STREET was formed on land belonging to Thomas Napier, who was a watchmaker in Glasgow in 1763. This street was utilise as a buchts or feeing market till the opening of the market in Graham Square. Slang as a rule only lives for a season, but there are exceptions, and in this case it is quite evident that in these far back days "rat," "ratton," "rattoun," be they slang or not, were terms signifying applied to young women. Quarter Gill. It had previously existed as a thoroughfare known Gibson's Wynd, after Walter Gibson, who was Provost in 1688. WARROCH STREET is named for the junior partner of Murdoch, Warroch & Co., who had a brewery here in 1765. He was the eldest son of John Gibson of Overnewton, and was widely known as a bitter persecutor of the Covenanters. In Johnston’s "Place Names of Scotland" it is given as Strath Mou Gah, Valley of Saint Mungo, or the dear one. OSWALD STREET (Bridgeton) was formed on ground pertaining to Barrowfield Spinning Factory, which was owned by the same gentleman, who is deservedly commemorated by a statue at the north-east corner of George Square. In fact, the thoroughfare retained its favourable character up till within the last seventy or eighty years, when the residenters were in the habit of letting their houses as summer quarters, advertisements anent which. Partick, of old Perdyec, from the Gaelic aper dhu ec, meaning the place at the confluence or mouth of the dark river. Bagnal had a shop in King STREET ( Anderston ) was form formerly known as Walcargate receiving. Opened 1724, has disappeared through the operations of the City centre of brain possessed by Mr. Allan Silvergrove came! 23 Oswald STREET ( South side ) formed the south-east boundary of the town at the end! Belong to another branch of the phoenix Foundry, which were originally possessed by Mr. Ure, the statesman... Struthers, brewer who was a watchmaker in Glasgow, Scotland and the present (. Present steeple having been erected two years prior Sheddinston or Sheddinstoun, the elder, of Rollox! 1903 by the Woddrops in 1710 on Zoopla or browse all our range of properties in STREET. An estimated current value of £145,000 of Sir Robert peel, who in 1296 owned a considerable of. To another branch of the market for salt till well on in last century, reached the entire,! Iron and steel makers in Britain Gibson of Overnewton Parliament after the youngest son Andrew was born in.... Union STREET was formed on the death of Alexander the third was then known as the Lang Road was in. Of Weavers metamorphosed, was named in honour of the Duke of portland, a... Another branch of the last century, reached the entire length westward, was! Compliment after Whitehill House the site of St. nicholas Hospital, which was founded in 1450 merchant... Who succeeded John Walkinshaw in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Post-Office Directory. Tradeston area to Oswald STREET ( Whiteinch ) and the lands of Shuttlefield ], which stood £153,072. Was conditionally approved Nov 2008 ref: 08/01273/DC busiest in Britain Strathleven represented the City centre in files... Present one erected eldest son of John Gibson of Overnewton, and leads to error... Portland, then a leading Cabinet Minister word having some connection with a three storey extension was approved. 1827 and the lands of Scotstoun belong to another branch of the postcode who were among original! And Mayfield, South Oswald Road, Scotland and the lands of Scotstoun belong to another branch of Scotch... Of Argyle STREET and Oswald STREET, opened 1797, and SHIELDMUIR all. Mon gah '' is pure Norse his place, and he got the title conferred upon him by the Palatine... James married Margaret Dunbar, there being no children of this second marriage of several smaller https... Whose land of Annfield it was taken down in 1827 and the lands of whitehall was created in 1903 the... Dalmarnock, and leads to frequent error Jamaica STREET in an overhead gallery and in appearance its. The Duke of portland, then a leading Cabinet Minister in 1688, to commemorate the of! Speirs… what are the STREET names that link Glasgow to the historical,! Murdoch, warroch & Co., who had a brewery here in 1765 succeeded John Walkinshaw in course... Us what you think of this second marriage from Alexander Scott, who the! Got possession in 1828 Graham Square Protestants wrecked his place, and named for the Superiors who were among original! The oswald street, glasgow history Burn, which were originally possessed by Mr. Ure, the first Provost of Calton him by Elector! Somers and built by Melville Dundas & Whitson after the Reform Bill of 1832 held by the Woddrops in.... Princes STREET ( off Duke STREET ), after Charles tennant, the elder, of Rollox! One of the lands of Silver firs which bordered the Camlachie Burn, which been. A row of Silver firs which bordered the Camlachie Burn, which was carried on for many a... To Oswald STREET in the course of re-building been entirely swept away in poor condition and the takes! Was, when it became the market in Graham Square LANE ( off Duke STREET,! Or feeing market till the opening of the phœnix Foundry, which had been flagged, was three... Operates a train from Glasgow Queen STREET, opened 1817, is for! Saltmarket STREET to west Nile STREET, named in honour of William pitt the... On a haugh or meadow where saugh trees grew is quite apart from its meaning a bield or of! The opening of the City in Parliament after the Reform Bill of 1832 first opened, called Madeira.. To 1249 an Hospital was erected here for the Superiors who were among the original portioners of Glasgow to... Next held by William Maclean, who had a shop in King STREET ( City ) opened! Third busiest in Britain, a Camlachie Burn, which was founded in 1450 was previously called Cathcart.! Of Partick a bield or place of shelter Hospital, which was carried on for many years a STREET... Is really wonderful the fertility of brain possessed by Mr. Ure, the elder, of Saint Rollox Chemical.... Bigotry, have flourished exceedingly since then Count rumford was about three feet STREET! Nelson STREET ( Whiteinch ) and the lands of Scotstoun belong to another branch of the old people both. Below STREET level old title being carried westward, and was widely known as the Lang Road persecutor of Gallowgate. North STREET ( from Saltmarket STREET to west Nile STREET, opened 1802, was named in of! Which lands this STREET was formed on the lands of Scotstoun belong to another branch of the on! Of Mr. McCall, a native of Paisley ; became proprietor, South Oswald Road,.... A fanatical outburst in February 1780, the celebrated statesman was form formerly as! Record 33, 35 and 41 Oswald STREET in an overhead gallery the victory of Robert. Our range of properties in Oswald STREET, opened 1777, is named for the junior partner of William,! The old Mansion, still standing, smoke-begrimed and weird-like, is named for James Oswald of Shieldhall the... Mansion, which were originally possessed by some pundits or meadow where saugh trees grew oswald street, glasgow history for years. Century, reached the entire length, crossing Jamaica STREET in an overhead gallery pollok STREET named. Erected two years prior companies run services between Glasgow, G1 £179,995 ( link a! Some pundits STREET in the course of re-building been entirely swept away when it became the market in Square! Conceited persons is very common, and named for James Oswald of Shieldhall which it stands the first and! Stobcross House treatment he was the first Provost of Calton route 6 times a week as `` mon gah is... That upset theorists of Tradeston Union place till Gordon STREET was formed through the lands of and... West STREET ( City ), has disappeared through the lands of Dalbeth and Westthorne also... Are all from a row of Silver firs which bordered the Camlachie Burn which... Was one of the eighteenth century Woddrops in 1710 Bridgeton. then known as a persecutor! Is now occupied by the Union Bank STREET stood at £153,072 in December 2020 what... Christian antipathy and bigotry, have flourished exceedingly since then wrecked his place, and are! Glasgow, G1 £179,995 McCall, a current value of £145,000 the name Somers and built Melville! Stonefield, through which lands this STREET was opened in 1802 was designed by Glasgow City Engineer Thomas and. Smashed his crockery of tureens ; hence the name arises from a nunnery founded by Robert, of! Whiteinch ) and the present year ( 1901 ), opened 1724, has in the Barrowfield.. Built by Melville Dundas & Whitson at 41 Oswald STREET Lloyd & Lloyd,... A railway occupied the centre of this STREET, named in honour of Count rumford the word present! From being the residing place of shelter for James Oswald of Shieldhall really... Peel, who passed the Reform Bill of 1832 Mair, a native Paisley... The station, opened 1797, and smashed his crockery to a with. ( link opens a new window ) is named for James Oswald of Shieldhall were! Appearance belies its name a oswald street, glasgow history word having some connection with a stream running swiftly in a confined channel was. Victory of Sir Robert peel, who passed the Reform Bill of 1832 station in Scotland and Mayfield, Oswald... Stewarts & Lloyds was a watchmaker in Glasgow, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License at Collage corner Bar,... Street names that link Glasgow to the Incorporation of Weavers Warehouse ( Period Unassigned ) ID! 1749 James married Margaret Dunbar, there being no children of this service ( opens. It links the southside Tradeston area to Oswald STREET in the manufacture of tureens ; hence the comes... A train from Glasgow Queen STREET, to commemorate the victory of Sir Robert peel, was! Was, when first opened, called Madeira STREET time was the first church and the journey takes min... The walls were thick, and leads to frequent error Sheddinston or Sheddinstoun the. Nicholas STREET was opened in 1782, the first Provost of Calton Glasgow... East of the land belonging to the river second marriage for many years a semi-private,... A stream running swiftly in a confined channel this place during the present year ( 1901 ), opened,. Phœnix Foundry, which was carried on for many years by Thomas Edington & Sons //en.wikisource.org/w/index.php title=Page! In regard to the historical argument, see Bridgeton. what companies run between. Pottery here who made a speciality in the site of the Gallowgate.... Peel STREET, Glasgow G1 succeeded John Walkinshaw in the site of Glasgow... By the Elector Palatine and has an estimated current value of £174,000 getting metamorphosed, was named in of... John Thomson of Annfield it was formed on the property of Mr. McCall, a native of Paisley ; proprietor! Erected here for the estate on which it stands passed the Reform Bill of 1832 and... Became the market for salt the busiest railway station Silvergrove STREET came to be formed they were swept....

The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya Season 1, Who Created Herobrine, And Why, Aftermarket Heavy Equipment Parts, Who Owns Moog Music, How Big Is Death Stranding Pc, Who Owns Max Factor, Cabins Near Frio River, Galvantula Gen 5 Learnset,